Mediterranean Fish and Seafood Soup
Summer is nearly over, but there is still time to enjoy some light and refreshing food! This recipe combines fresh vegetables, heart-healthy olive oil, fish and seafood. Fish such as tilapia, haddock, salmon, and sole are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Shellfish including shrimp, squid, and clams are beneficial for brain and heart health. Unsaturated fat such as olive oil is not only heart-healthy, but also adds flavor, reduces inflammation and regulates metabolism in the body.
Mediterranean diet has also been shown to benefit both bone and muscle mass in post-menopausal women. Generally, this diet consists of fruit and vegetables, olive oil, seeds, fish, low in saturated fats with moderate amount of red wine. It has also been linked to lower rates of heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
For a FREE 7-Day Mediterranean Meal Plan CLICK HERE to download your plan.
Plan contains delicious, time-saving recipes that are high in fiber, nutrient-dense foods including fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. In addition, it includes a good dose of heart-healthy fats such as olive oil, avocados, nuts and seeds. Quality protein from dairy, poultry and fish is also included.
For custom meal plans, please contact Dr. Anna HERE.
Mediterranean Fish Soup Recipe
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 table spoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of seafood medley
- 2 fish fillets (choice of: tilapia, haddock, salmon) sliced into strips
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup of white wine
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 L of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 3 L sauce pan, heat olive oil and add carrots, onions and garlic. Fry until onions are translucent
- Add white wine and wait 1-2 minutes for alcohol to evaporate
- Reduce heat to medium
- Add salt, pepper and thyme
- Cook for 3 minutes
- Add tomato paste and 2 L of water, stir and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add slices of fish and cook for 3 minutes
- Add fish sauce and cayenne pepper
- Add seafood medley
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with onion greens. Enjoy!
Dr. Anna ND