Ease Anxiety with Alternate Nostril Breathing
The body and mind are closely interrelated and one influences the other more than was ever thought. Alternate nostril breathing has a marvellously calming effect on the nervous system. It also helps to overcome insomnia, relaxes and refreshes the body, soothes headaches and improves digestion and appetite.
To begin, sit in a comfortable position with your back straight:
- Use your right index finger and close off your left nostril
- Inhale deeply and slowly through the right nostril to the count of 4
- Then close off the right nostril with your right thumb and hold breath for a count of 4
- Open the left nostril and exhale to a count of 4 to 8
The longer you can make the exhalation, the better. Concentrate on completely emptying your lungs.
- Breathe in through that same left nostril to the count of 4
- Close off the nostril with the index finger again and hold to the count of 1 to 4
- Exhale through the right nostril to the count of 4 to 8
Repeat the cycle of alternate nostril breathing 5 more times or for up 10 minutes. Practice alternate nostril breathing whenever you feel nervous, upset or irritable. Your breathing should be smooth and slow and not necessarily rhythmical.